Organics
Many foods and produce contain harmful pesticides and hormones.
Who can afford to eat all organic??? We certainly can't...so here is a list of the "dirty dozen" foods that are the worst for pesticides and are the specific foods where, when possible, we buy organic.
Food
Apples
Cherries
Grapes (imported)
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries
Bell Peppers
Celery
Potato
Spinach
Beef
Poultry
Milk
-Wild fish (not organic necessarily, but not farmed either)
Availability is not always there, so if we have to buy non organic, I am sure to WASH my food thoroughly with a cool wash that I found at the healthfood store. It is a fruit and veg wash and gets off way more dirt and pesticides than just regular soap and water.
Check out my source below. EWG does tonnes of research on this stuff. I use their website as a reference a lot.
**source for list of foods-www.EWG.org
Monday, June 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting posts Meg. It's something that I think about a lot lately too, especially because of Avery. And I'm trying to slowly switch to better, healthier products too. We've only used the non-toxic cleansers for some time but the Enjo clothes sound interesting. I'm also interested in your comment about not microwaving food. I have long since stopped microwaving food in plastic, but I still use the microwave and haven't heard that it could be harmful. Do you have a link to somewhere that I can read more about that? Hope you and P are well. Say congrats to George on his triathlon...quite the accomplishment.
ReplyDelete~Lins
Hey Lins,
ReplyDeleteIt is funny how we change our ways so drastically in order to be better to our kids (in turn, making it better for us, too!)
I just want to clarify. We are not a microwave free household and it is a an amazing time saver to use when required. I do want to say that I don't use it unless I am in a major rush and warming something up on the go. I also have to admit, that I hardly ever use it for P. It is a guilt complex I have. I am crazy overprotective (to a fault, almost)when it comes to her: )
For the most part, not having to use a microwave is because we try not to eat any pre-made stuff (unless it is yummy leftovers). Fresh is best. If we cook veggies, we steam them or eat them raw. Raw is where the most nutrients get absorbed into your body. I am iron deficient and I need all the iron and nutrients I can get!
There are varying views of microwaving and the implications of it on the internet. The one I attached is the one that most supports my gut instincts on microwaving. It mentions the free radicals that can be created by microwaving, the levels of radiation that they produce and the nutritional deficiencies/alterations in food's chemical make up that have been proven in foods that have been microwaved.
I think that we are from a generation of convenience and we are so used to doing things quickly and fast because we are busy and always rushing. THis is why they created the microwave, for people like us! To go back to traditional ways of preparing foods, is really hard because we are so used to convenience.
In the end, I always go with my "MOMMY GUT INSTINCTS" on all things and try not to implement all hard and fast rules in my life...but I,personally, like to avoid the microwave where ever possible.
Let me know what you think about this article!
Thanks for engaging in a very interesting conversation with me. Love it!
http://www.healingdaily.com/microwave-ovens.htm
Thanks for the info Meghan, I'll have a look at the website you attached.
ReplyDeleteWe never "cook" in the microwave either; I use it only to reheat food, (and melt butter for popcorn, my favourite!) so we don't use it very much. But I should maybe think about warming food up in other ways when I'm not in a rush as you say.
Your organization posts are motivating me to hit my closet and drawers too...or at least put them on my long "To-do" list ;-)