Okay..I am disturbed.
P. has taken up hitting and kicking-but the only person affected by it, or should I say, victim to it, is my husband.
I don't know why she decides to hit and kick him only, or for that matter, at all.
It seems to be only when he is going to change her for school or gets her out of her crib.
She screams, "NO MUMMY!" and then hits him. Oh, and as she hits, she says "hit"
It is actually funny from afar, but still annoying-no mom wants her kid to be the "kid who hits"
Anyway, the daycare tells me she doesn't do it there, so we aren't able to find out from them what tactic of discipline works.
Currently, George takes her hand and says sternly "NO HITTING!"
Then Phoebe responds by laughing.
Lately, he has been saying "No HITTING" and then laying her on the floor and leaving her (sort of ignoring her)
She still thinks that is funny.
Advice?
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Isn't it funny, how when you say 'no', they laugh?
ReplyDeleteWish I had some other words of advice for you, but continue to tell her firmly, 'No hitting' and I'm sure she'll come around. :)
Well..unfortunately all kids become the "kids that hit" at one point or another...I think it's their way of testing the boundaries.
ReplyDeleteTristan hits and throws things if he doesn't like what's going on...I give him a time out for a few seconds, then go and talk with him...he usually says "ok mommy..sorry"..but I dont' think he gets it yet...sigh...luckily with consistant talk about no hitting, it will eventually sink in...
Hey Megs! Love your blog!! Have you tried (and I am sure you have....) but perhaps instead of saying no hitting, tell her what to do. For example....gentle touches or touch softly and model it for her. Also saying hitting hurts...no thank you. Sometimes if you say no hitting, hitting is only word they hear. Just a thought........
ReplyDeleteoh and it is a stage....she will stop! My little Ava bit a child and that was horrifying as a parent....we were one of those...lol
Shan
I think the stage is gone now, thank gawd! It is definitely a challenge to know how to act and how not to. I take advice from the daycare a lot and friends like you. Most often I find it takes a few tries to find out what works! Phoebe has bitten 2x at school. I was HORRIFIED! I thought, she is going to be labeled "the biter!"and won't get invited to birthday parties (crazy mom, I know!). I hope it doesn't happen again, but hearing that others kids bite or are bitten makes me feel a tad bit of "normal" if I can even say that! I know that the daycare doesn't take these things lightly and disciplines in an appropriate way-even though both times, they said she was "pushed to do it!" whatever that means! I say that there is no excuse for that behaviour and that I expect them to let her know it is bad!
ReplyDelete