It is a sad time for me, because September is when the babies (0-18 months) move up to the toddler room (18 m-3yrs) Phoebes will be making this great leap in just a few short weeks. I asked if she could be in the toddler room that is situated right next to her "soon to be old" baby room. The rooms share a potty and she would see her former teachers more that way. She is even getting to move with her 2 little bestest buddies, Julia and Leila. I was so happy.
Until today.
When I went to pick her up, the kids were all outside playing so I snuck into the school to pickup Binky the blanky and check Phoebe's poop log (yes, they log her poops for us)...anyways...as I am walking by her soon to be "new" toddler room, I hear a woman shouting at a child, "I SAID SIT DOWN NOW!". This got my full attention and I stood outside of the room to witness a young blonde teacher grab a 2yr old little girl by the shoulders and force her down to sit. The girl didn't fight it, but looked shocked.
NOT AS SHOCKED AS ME, THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must have had a appauled look on my face because I stood outside the room staring in for a few seconds before I made my way to get Binky and the poop log.
I contemplated what to do so I decided to go by the room again. At this time, the blonde bitch who yelled at and forcefully disciplined a child was explaining to the other teacher (who I am sure confronted her about her behaviour) "I asked her to sit like, 3 times!!!"
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!! YOU DIDN'T JUST MAKE AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR POOR BEHAVIOUR INVOLVING AN INNOCENT CHILD, DID YOU?
Gong show mommy marched off to collect P. and then went right into the director's room to explain what had happened.
Thankfully, today was this "intern's " last day at the centre. I gave straight up feedback to the director that I did NOT feel comfortable with that woman being around my daughter and hoped that she wouldn't be returning to substitite teach at the centre.
She assured me she would give my feedback to the blonde bitch and that it was indeed her "last day"
I said "I hope so!", emphatically as Phoebes said her bye byes and we were off.
I mean, I know that kids can be crazy frustrating and that working with them all day is freakin draining and everything...but in my mind, there is absolutely no excuse for her behaviour. I don't care if she was having a bad day.
What are your thoughts?
Oh, Meg, someone's Guardian Angel was making sure that you were there at JUST the right time! Don't let this isolated happening change the way you feel about the centre; it sounds perfect (they even give you a Poop Log!).
ReplyDeleteI would have freaked out too! don't you dare touch my child in that way!! I'm glad it was her last day, but what about the next place she works at? It's so scary to know there are ppl out there caring for our children who wouldn't treat them the way we'd treat our own. I shudder at the thought.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a story! I am proud of how you handled the situation. I am also really glad to hear that someone else working at the centre realized that the "blonde bitch" was in the wrong.
ReplyDeleteRemember, even though these people are caring for our children, they may not have been raised the way we were, and sometimes explicit intruction needs to happen for the teacher to understand what we would think is common knowledge of appropriate behaviour. (I am sure this final comment will get scrutinized -- but it is true...now, had I witnessed the appalling situation, maybe I would react differently!)
I have been milling over this situation since it happened and have read all the comments here and on Facebook and I realize that nobody is perfect and everyone has bad days. I just want the best for P. I had to go back to work. I didn't have the choice to be at SAHM, so I just hope and pray that the centre she goes to treats her kindly and patiently. I hope the same for all your kids and grandkids, too!
ReplyDeleteGood for you!!! This is a daycare, not a supermarket where you witnessed a mom shouting at her child (or something similar). If you felt that her behaviour wasn't right and made you nervous, then you have every right to say something.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a very good sign that the director was supportive and it sounds like she'll keep an eye on things. It doesn't really matter what others think is acceptable behaviour. If it made YOU feel uneasy and upset, then of course you should make this known.
Hi Meg. I finally bookmarked you on my blog, so I can come find you more easily. So I guess this comment has nothing to do with your post, although I'm intrigued about the poop log and I think you should always follow your gut. Wish I could meet P before she gets too big! 2011 perhaps? KISSES.
ReplyDelete